St. Joseph F. C Convent (Mother House), Changanacherry

Place : Changanacherry
Parish: Parel
Established Year: 1888
Address: Changanacherry P. O Kottayam (Dt)
Pin: 686101
Phone: 0481-2420433,2422451

The Franciscan Clarist Congregation took her humble origin on 14th December 1888 in Changanacherry, Kottayam. St. Joseph's F.C. Convent - the first house of the congregation as well as that of the province also was established on this very same day.
The Founding mothers, after 13 years of  living  and praying together as a community  observing the rules and regulations of  the Franciscan Third Order,  had their Vestition at the Chapel of  Bishop's House at Kottayam on 14th December 1888. They reached Changancherry on 15th December 1888 and began Community life  in a small house next to St.Berchmans' High school in Changancherry with 7 Orphans. After shifting to several houses, a new house was built for them by Bishop Charles Lavinge at Changanacherry in 1897. The inner urge of the founding mothers to serve the poor and the humble led to the establishment of St. Germane's Orphanage in the same year 1888, now known as St. Germane's Balika Bhavan. This balika Bhavan, St. Vincent Poor Home for men and women, Nursery School, St. Anne's Higher Secondary School and St. Alphonsa Palliative Care Centre function here with the intention of serving the poor. St. Alphonsa completed her canonical novitiate staying in this convent, and it was from here that she went to study TTC in St. Theresa's TTI Vazhzppally. Alphonsa Museum established in this convent depicts the pious life of St. Alphonsa and also the charism of the congregation. Alphonsa Prayer centre is involved in the evangelisation of the people.

News & Events